This roasted broccoli and potatoes is a one-pan wonder. If there is one less utensil to wash, I consider it as my favourite dish to cook. Well, my love for this recipe is not only because it lessens my work in the kitchen but also for its versatility, flavour and fuss-free nature. If you’ve been following our blog, you’ll know, I am all about fuss-free, easy and quick cooking. Albeit without compromising on nutritional aspects.Jump to Recipe
Roasted broccoli is one of my favourites. I first tasted it at a fine dining Indian restaurant and it was gorgeous. They had this whole head of broccoli, roasted and served with a drizzle of a delicious yoghurt sauce. It was a piece of heaven on earth! Since then I am a huge fan of roast broccoli.
Together with roast potatoes, this dish gets elevated to a different level. Who doesn’t like roast potatoes? Every time I make them, it reminds me of our childhood days roasting whole potatoes in charcoal of a bonfire during winter. It is so simple, with just a few ingredients thrown in your supper will be ready in no time.
Ingredients to make roasted broccoli and potatoes
- Broccoli: fresh green broccoli is best for this recipe. Cut the broccoli head into medium florets, rinse and drain them well.
- Potatoes: I have used salad potatoes for this recipe. You could also use new potatoes. Leave the skin on, make sure you scrub them well with a vegetable brush.
- Olive Oil: Use olive oil to coat the vegetables. Do not use extra virgin olive oil as you will be cooking the veggies.
- Dry Spice Mix: I have used a mix of garlic powder, red chilli flakes, crushed pepper, dry oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley. Or you can get a readymade, off the shelf Italian herb seasoning. For a rich deep flavour you may use chopped fresh garlic and chopped fresh herbs. But I have used my dry herbs from my store cupboard/ pantry. These are my pantry essentials and are saviours!
- Salt: I have used sea-salt, you may use any other salt you like as per taste.
How to make roasted broccoli and potatoes
Time needed: 55 minutes.
Roasted broccoli and potatoes need minimum prep and you can get everything done in a jiffy. Unlike cooking on a stovetop, the best bit is you do not need to stir it constantly. Just put the timer and check back when it calls you! This frees you to carry on with other good things.
- Pre-heat the oven:
Pre-heat the oven to 180C fan/200C electric.
- Prepare the potatoes
Scrub, wash and dry the salad potatoes with their skin on. Cut them into halves, lengthwise. If they are slightly bigger, quarter them.
Put them in a bowl, drizzle olive oil and season with salt, and the dry spice mix.
Tip them into a roasting tray or an ovenproof pan. Roast them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Prepare the broccoli
While your potatoes are roasting in the oven, prepare your broccoli. Cut the broccoli into medium size florets. Wash and dry the florets with a kitchen towel. In a bowl, season with salt and spice mix and olive oil, make sure you mix them well. Let those spices get into the nook and crannies of each floret!
- Cook the broccoli
Halfway through, add the broccoli florets to the potatoes and let them roast for
Serve this dish with your favourite protein – baked chicken, fish or meat. You may also serve it with quinoa or couscous.
Pin me for laterPrint Recipe
Roasted Broccoli and Potatoes
- Casserole or
- Cast Iron Skillet or
- Oven-proof pan
- 1 kg salad potatoes skin on, scrub skin with a brush
- 1 whole broccoli cut into florets
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp chilli fakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan/ 200°C electric.
- Clean the potatoes, skin on and cut them into halves, lengthwise. Quarter the bigger ones.
- In a bowl, use half of the oil and dry spice mix to season the potatoes.
- Place the seasoned potatoes in a roasting tin, ovenproof pan or skillet and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes
- In the meantime, prepare the broccoli. Cut into medium florets, wash and dry them. Season the florets with the remaining oil and dry spice mix, salt and pepper.
- After 20 minutes, add the seasoned florets to the pan with the potatoes. Spread them well, turn the potatoes once. Let it roast for another 20 minutes.
- The potatoes should be crisp, golden on the outside and soft inside and the broccoli florets should be charred and cooked.
- Take it out of the oven, serve it with your favourite protein, chicken, fish or meat.