Fish stews are a simple yet delightful one-pot dish. More importantly, they are quick to prepare, filled with flavour and nutritious. So if you are into healthy eating and would love a fuss-free lunch or dinner, this fish stew fits the bill. You can incorporate this fish stew as part of your balanced meal. Our quick and easy fish stew is comforting and lives up to its name.
This particular fish stew is one of our family favourites of all time. It is based on traditional stews prepared in the north-east of India. Many indigenous, aromatic herbs such as fish-mint, maan-dhoniya(Thai coriander), manimuni( Asian pennywort) are used in making traditional stews. However, in this recipe, we have added common ingredients used in everyday cooking.
Ingredients for quick and easy fish stew
The key ingredient of this fish stew is Rohu/Rui fish or Labeo rohita, a common freshwater fish of South Asia. It has a delicate flavour and is full of nutrients. It is rich in Omega-3 fatty acid, enriched with protein and has high vitamin D content. Outside India, you can easily buy Rohu fish from an Asian supermarket or even buy online. You can get the fishmonger to cut steak pieces. Once you’ve scaled the steak pieces, rub the fish with salt and rinse it off. This process will reduce the fishy smell. Great for people who want to enjoy fish without its fishy-ness!
I recommend using a firm, plump tomato, not too ripe. You can either oven roast or flame grill the tomato on an open flame of the stove. Scour the skin at the top and bottom of the tomato and grill until the skin chars. When the tomato becomes charred and soft, remove the skin and roughly chop. I love the flavour of open fire-roasted tomatoes! It brings out the sweetness and the flecks of charred skin impart smokiness to this dish. If you do not like the idea of an open fire, you can easily grill or broil them in an oven. It will take about 10-15 minutes at 200 deg. C in a fan oven.
Yellow Mustard Powder
The yellow mustard powder adds a punch to this dish. If you do not have yellow mustard powder, you can substitute it with yellow mustard paste or English mustard. English mustard is very hot flavour wise.
You can make this stew with any firm white fish such as cod or sea bass. Without further ado, here is the recipe of an easy, one-pot, comforting fish stew dish.Print Recipe
Quick and Easy Fish Stew
- Stew Pot or Casserole or Large Pan
- 4 steak pieces of Rohu fish scaled and cleaned
- 1 capsicum diced into 1"
- 1 medium tomato roasted, skinned and roughly chopped
- 2 medium potatoes diced into 1"
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 pods garlic crushed
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1 tsp yellow mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 600 mls water
- Take 600mls water in a large pan, add salt and bring to a rolling boil.
- Once the water boils, add cumin powder, capsicum, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, chillies, garlic, yellow mustard powder, stir and mix well.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for around three minutes.
- Now tip in the fish, add lemon juice, stir and close the lid. Simmer it for 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat, rest it for few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves (optional). Serve with steaming hot boiled rice.
You may also like
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We may receive a small commission when you make a purchase using our link.