Bear in mind, this isn’t the usual khichdi that you’ve had growing up, on rainy days!
A delicious but simple, quick, light, and healthy dish for when you do not want to spend hours in the kitchen but without compromising on taste. My mom-in-law is an absolutely fabulous cook. On one hand, she can dish out delicious traditional Bengali meals, but, on the other, she can come up with simple recipes such as this one. This was the fruit of a telephone conversation during one sunny morning of lockdown 2020 when every tete-a-tete was about food and every time is a mealtime. You would get over one meal and suddenly realise, it was already time for the next one. The idea from MIL was to take my very popular(at home!) mixed vegetable red lentil dahl and add another step to it!
Lockdown has made nearly every family, small or big, on this earth cook meals in their own kitchen. We have been forced to become creative with our cooking, as every dish would depend on what we have or not have in our pantry cupboards!
Recently, someone coined the term ‘Substitution City’, and, of which we’ve all suddenly become adept inhabitants. Coming back to my recipe, I have used frozen mixed vegetables of carrot, beans, cauliflower, sweetcorn, and peas, you may choose to substitute it with whatever veggies you have in your fridge!
Pack a whole of vitamins and nutrients to your diet with oats instead of rice. Oat is one of the healthiest grains on earth and is gluten-free too. It is rich in fibre and Oat beta-glucans contribute to the maintenance of normal blood cholesterol levels.Print Recipe
Mixed Vegetables Oats Khichdi
- Sauce pan
- 3/4 cup red lentils washed and soaked for 10mins and drained
- 1.5 cups mixed vegetables diced carrots, beans, peas, cauliflower , sweetcorn
- 4 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced or finely chopped
- 2 green chillies optional
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- pinch asafoetida
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- In a sauce pan, heat oil, add asafoetida, cumin, chopped onions,garlic, green chillies and saute for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat off and add the oats.
- Now, add the tomatoes, cumin powder and turmeric powder, saute well until tomatoes are soft, cooked and oil separates.
- Tip in the mixed vegetables, mix well and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the lentils, mix everything together and saute for further 2 minutes.
- Pour 2 cups water, add salt and let it come to a boil on high heat. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or till lentils are cooked.Check salt and add bit more water if it is thick.
- Turn the heat off and add the oats. Mix well and cover for about 5minutes.
- Serve hot with a healthy omlette with leafy greens, papad(poppadum) or kachumber salad. Enjoy!