Cumin rice is a simple but flavourful dish that is a great side to any Indian curry. Cumin or Jeera seeds give this rice an earthy fragrance without overwhelming Basmati rice’s own. This recipe will show how to cook fluffy cumin rice.Jump to Recipe
Whenever my family feels a bit bored of the usual boiled rice, cumin rice adds a flavoursome twist to the meal.
Things to consider for fluffy cumin rice
- If you wish to get fluffy cooked rice, start with a good quality Basmati or long-grain rice. The older the rice grains, the better the cooked product.
- Rinse the rice grains until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in fresh, cold water for about 15 to 30minutes.
- Adding 1-2 tsps of lemon juice will whiten and separate the rice grains.
- Do not stir the rice grains vigorously, the soaked rice will easily break as it is much softer than dry rice.
- Always use a fork to fluff the cooked rice and not a spoon or spatula.
- Casserrole Dish or
- Stock pot or
- Sauce pan
- 1.5 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- ¼ tsp salt optional
- 2.5 cup water
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- In a deep saucepan or casserole heat oil
- Add whole cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, tip in the drained basmati rice. Stir carefully for around 2mins to coat rice with oil and seeds.
- Pour 2.5 cup cold water, add salt and stir. Raise the heat to medium high and let it come to a boil.
- As soon as it starts to bubble lower the heat completely and cover the pan.
- Cook on low heat for 12 minutes.
- Once done let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
- It is necessary to soak the rice for it to come out fluffy.
- Resist the temptation of opening the lid to check whilst the rice is getting cooked.
- If after finishing, the top layer has still got a bite, fluff and turn the rice over, cover and leave it to rest.
Pin me for later
If you’ve tried this recipe, do not forget to leave a comment below and let us know how you liked it. Tag us on your photos @oh_lifes_beautiful on instagram. Follow us on instagram, facebook, twitter and pinterest.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We may receive a small commission when you make a purchase using our link. Please note that it will not cost you anything extra, but it will help us with our website’s running and maintenance costs.