Disclosure:This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We may receive a small commission when you make a purchase using our link.Please note, it will not cost you anything extra, but it will help us with the running and maintenance costs of our website.
Our green lentils and spinach scramble is a healthy, protein-rich, quick dish that you can enjoy as a meal on its own or as a side dish. It can be part pre-prepared in advance and store them in the fridge for later. I love green lentils, not only for its health properties but because it is not difficult to cook. I love its nutty flavour and a bit of bite in it.Jump to Recipe
Health benefits of green lentils
If you are on a low carbohydrate, low-calorie diet, this green lentil and spinach dish will definitely fit the bill. Lentils are seeds from the legume family. You will find different types of lentils, based on their colour such as red, brown, green and yellow. All varieties are nutrient-rich and are an inexpensive way of getting them into our body.
Lentils are low in calories, rich in iron and folate and an excellent source of protein. Lentil may help improve your heart health and improve blood cholesterol and blood pressure levels. Thus lentils should be a part of your healthy eating lifestyle.Print Recipe
Cooking of green lentils
For this green lentil and spinach scramble, you may use shop-bought boiled lentils or cook it from scratch. I feel satisfied when I boil my own green lentils. It does not take much effort and you can boil a large batch and store it to use during the week. When you boil, it should not be too watery and should have a crunch or bite to it and not mushy. For this recipe, I have pre-boiled the green lentils with salt.
In a saucepan, add 1 cup of raw green lentils, add half a cup of cold water, 1 teaspoon of salt and stir. Put the pan on medium-high heat. Let the water come to a boil, lower the heat completely, cover and cook for about 10 mins. Next, add another half cup of water, cover and cook for 10 more minutes on low heat. Now check if the lentils are nearly done with a bit of bite. If you want slightly more cooked, add half a cup of water, cover and cook for 10 minutes again. Usually, it gets cooked within 20-30minutes. You can cook it to your liking. And so your green lentils are ready for the spinach and egg scramble! Cool the extra lentils and store them in the fridge in an airtight container.
Green Lentils and Spinach Scramble
- Saute pan
- 1 cup boiled green lentils
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- seasoning salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp cooking oil vegetable or olive oil
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with salt and pepper, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a saute pan on medium-high. Add the cumin seeds, turmeric and stir.
- When cumin seeds crackle, add the chopped onion. Saute for a few minutes till onions become translucent.
- Next, pour the beaten eggs into the pan, let it sit for a minute. Then continue to fold and mix till it resembles scrambled eggs.
- When the eggs are nearly done, add the spinach leaves and mix till they wilt.
- Finally, add the cooked green lentils. Season with pepper and mix well. Mix well with the rest of the ingredients and is heated through.
- Enjoy as a complete meal on its own or as a side dish with bread, roti or rice!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We may receive a small commission when you make a purchase using our link. Please note, it will not cost you anything extra, but it will help us with the running and maintenance costs of our website.