Are you a mom who gets welcomed home with this question ‘ what’s for dinner?’ Well, then you’ll love this easy spinach chicken recipe. In just under half an hour, you can serve this freshly made, hot and steaming chicken dish. Everything is made from scratch (other than the dry spices!) and with fresh ingredients.
Health benefits of spinach
Now, I don’t think I need to tell you about the health benefits, still, a bit of refresher doesn’t hurt, I guess. Spinach is low in carbs and high in insoluble fibre which may aid in digestion. It is nutrient-rich with loads of vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid, iron and calcium.
Spinach has been linked with improving oxidative stress by releasing antioxidants that help slow down ageing. It also helps improve eye health and blood pressure. Needless to say, we must include this wonderful green leaf as part of our balanced diet.
Ingredients for easy spinach chicken
For this super speedy yet ultra flavourful and healthy chicken dish, you will need the following ingredients
- Chicken Breast: I have used diced chicken breast pieces. These don’t take long to cook so be mindful not to overcook them. In a pan on the stove-top it takes about 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, the chicken should not be pink inside.
- Spinach leaves: I love using baby spinach from my local supermarket but any size leaf will work. I love the baby spinach just for the ease and versatility of eating it raw for salads or cooked. And most of all my local store sells it pre-washed and that’s a big boon for someone who is all about taking the fuss out of cooking!
- Spring onions: I used a small fresh bunch straight from my balcony garden. Ooh.. how I love to pluck herbs fresh from my garden and use them directly in my dishes!
- Coriander: Again I used coriander leaves fresh from my herb garden. I did not want the flavour of coriander to overpower the entire dish, hence use a small bunch. If you like the strong coriander flavour increase the amount. It’ll be more like a coriander chicken! That’s another tasty recipe and one that I sometimes make and would love to share the recipe some day.
- Tomato: I’ve used a medium sized vine tomatoes. I feel these are the best for making any gravy dish. My number one choice for all Indian dishes. You can also use ripe plum tomatoes.
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh garlic
- Dry spices: You will need the dry spice staples – cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. You’ll also need whole cumin seeds to temper the oil.
How to make this easy spinach chicken
This simple spinach chicken is made using this freshly made spinach puree that you can whip up in no time.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, spring onions, coriander, ginger and garlic. If you want to avoid using your chopping board and knife go ahead and put everything in the blender. Although I’d suggest to halve the tomato!
- Add baby spinach leaves to the blender then whizz them all together till you get a smooth, emerald green fine puree.
- On medium heat, temper oil with cumin seeds, add the diced chicken and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the puree and mix well.
- Add the dry spice powders and salt.
- Cook uncovered till chicken is cooked and puree reduces and thickens. It shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes, but check that the chicken is fully cooked befoe turning off the heat.
What to serve with spinach chicken
White rice or Brown rice! This emerald spinach chicken can be enjoyed with steaming boiled white or brown basmati rice. The rice will soak up all the goodness of the green gravy.
Roti or Bread: Again, this spinach chicken will go equally well with plain rotis or any bread. Just mop up all the juicy bits with roti or bread and you’ll come back for more!
Here’s the recipe for my easy spinach chicken.Print Recipe
- Wok or Saute pan
- 250 g spinach leaves
- 400 g diced chicken breast
- 1 tomato roughly sliced
- 1 bunch spring onions roughly chopped
- few sprigs coriander leaves roughly chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger halved
- 2 cloves garlic halved
- 2 green chillies optional
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp yoghurt
- Marinate the diced chicken with yoghurt, turmeric, cumin, coriander and half of garam masala powder. Keep aside.
- Blend spinach, spring onions, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, tomato and green chillies to a smooth puree. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan on medium, add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, tip in the marinated chicken and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next, pour the green puree and mix well with the chicken. Cook on medium heat until the puree starts to bubble.
- Lower the heat, cook uncovered till the chicken is done. Keep stirring in between.
- When the chicken is cooked and the sauce thickened, sprinkle the rest of the garam masala powder and mix well. Remove from heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with steaming boiled rice!