Salads make an excellent side or main dish and inject some colour into your plate. Great in summer, when you want to eat light and healthy. Regardless of the time of the year salads can add a good dose of vitamins, minerals and fibre to your diet. OLB is thankful to Nimi Barooah for sharing this delightful recipe of classic vegetable salad with us, straight from her kitchen!Jump to Recipe
This classic vegetable salad is full of flavour from the sweetness of sweet corn to the umami of cheese and the freshness of the sprouts and chickpeas. The vegetables, sprouts and chickpeas provide plenty of fibre to support your digestive system. Topping it with cheese gives it a good dollop of protein and if you want a non-veg option, you may add cooked chicken. It is a balanced meal in itself with additional nutrients such as calcium, potassium, and iron. It is also good to know that this classic vegetable salad is very low in calories. You will be taken through a journey of texture and a variety of texture
Pin MePrint Recipe
Classic Vegetable Salad
- 20 g sweet corn
- 5 g green peas
- 10 g carrot finely diced
- 5 g capsicum finely diced
- 5 g red onion finely diced
- 20 g boiled chickpeas take care not to overcook
- 10 g boiled sprouts take care not to overcook. you can steam intead of boiling
- 10 g raw chickpeas washed and soaked till they are plump and soft.
- 10 g raw sprouts
- 20 g paneer/ cottage cheese diced
- 20 g feta cheese diced;you may use any other cheese of your choice
- 10 ml olive oil extra virgin
- 2 pinch black pepper
- 2 pinch salt
- Heat 5ml oil in a pan and add all the vegetables except raw chickpeas and the raw sprouts.
- Saute the mix over high flame for 30 seconds to a minute
- Sprinkle salt and pepper, mix well and remove from the heat.
- Add the remaining 5ml oil and give it a good mix
- Add boiled and sauteed, diced chicken
Prepare in advance
- Soak the raw chickpeas overnight.
- Prepare moong/mung bean sprouts a few days in advance
- You may boil the chickpeas in advance or use canned chickpeas.